Thursday, April 23, 2009

Apron so far

I was up until a little after midnight working on my apron. I've got the two sides of the apron finished. Now for putting them together with the binding and attaching the ties.
I tried two new techniques I'd never done before and am really excited at how they turned out. Of course all those little dresses I've made for Kinley have gathering stitches, but it's been hit or miss with how well they they turn out. Then at The Handmade Dress I found this tutorial. I still didn't spread the gathers exactly evenly, but I can't wait to try it on Kinley's next Miss Molly. I love the patterns I've bought from The Handmade Dress. I just can't stop making them. I used leftover fabric and made a few more for my two cousins babies and one for Emma which I keep forgetting to send. Maybe for Drew's next trip to Raleigh I'll remember it. Now maybe I can be brave enough to start Jenna's dress. I didn't forget about you Genevieve.
Okay so back to my new techniques...I made continuous bias binding as described in Bend the Rules Sewing. I think I'm in love...I've always been afraid to make my own binding. This method is something you have to be pretty exact with, so it takes a little time. It's so worth it. I vow to never by pre-made binding again. This seems to be a tutorial for the same method. You get so much from so little fabric. The apron pattern I am making called for 2 yards of binding and you would have needed the rest of the 1.75 yards of fabric to make it. I used a 24 square inch piece of fabric and got almost 5 yards!
Enough boring you with sewing talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment