Monday, January 25, 2010

Custom Sewing Giveaway

Okay, so this quilt:

Lovingly referred to by Kinley as Daddy's Pepper, has nearly killed my desire to sew. Or if I'm totally honest, my desire to sew on my sad little sewing machine. I nearly sewed it to death on this quilt. It was made with materials I'm not used to sewing on. The Dr Pepper squares are all jersey t-shirt type materials and the black and grey are flannels. This thing is so snuggly and warm. The only thing that made it all worth it is how much the thing is loved. I had to pry the pile of pepper out of someones grubby paws yesterday just to get it into the wash. It just might
be the most appreciated thing I've ever made.
So, in the spirit of finding my motivation to sew again and in motivating you to comment on my posts, I'd like to sew something for you! I frequently offer to sew for folks I know, but I think people feel bad saying yes. So here's your chance. I will make anything (within reason and my sewing abilities that is) that takes around a yard of fabric or less for free. You choose. I have tons of clothing patterns and free tutorials for kiddos. Boys and girls. I also have several sewing books with all kinds of patterns, Weekend Sewing, One Yard Wonders, Bend the Rules Sewing and Sew Special Fat Quarter Gifts. Most of those books have flickr groups if you want to check out what types of patterns are available in them. I also have several quilting books. I'm not opposed to making a quilt for someone, but it takes a lot more than one yard of fabric for that. If you win and are interested in a quilt or something else that takes more fabric, we can work it out. Most
likely you'll just be the one buying the supplies.
I've moved my sewing stuff down to the sitting room in our bedroom a few days before Christmas. This way Drew has the upstairs to himself, and it gives me motivation to keep on top of the mess in the sewing area. It used to get out of control when it was upstairs. I'm much better about keeping it clean, but it's still not perfect. I'm going to further attempt to motivate myself to finish the space. It's still very cluttered, and I haven't made the skirt for the cutting table to hide all those ugly bins. So for all the world to see, here is my messy sewing space:
Desk for my laptop, ironing board (sitting atop my empty Necchi sewing table...the Necchi is in the garage waiting for some repairs), my cutting and tracing table with all kinds of fabric scraps, battings, and other notions hiding beneath it.

The right side of the room with said sad little sewing machine, and serger. Those plastic bags on my sewing desk are full with the fabric for the table skirt. I really need to get in there and get to work....
Finally, the one area of the room that is practically complete. I found this shelf on sale for about 60% off at Ikea on New Year's Day. I wanted a place to store my fabric that wasn't stuffed inside yucky plastic drawers. It ended up being way larger than I anticipated and has lots of space for the rest of all my sewing bits. I just need to print some labels for the storage boxes, but they hold all my patterns and tracings....see I told you I had tons of patterns. Some of them are empty to have room for growing. Not in patterns but other notions. I will resist the urge to buy any new patterns. I have so many that I haven't even touched. See again this is where you come in in motivating me to use these patterns.

Okay, enough rambling. On to how you can win...the real reason you are reading. If you'd like have something sewn for you by me, just comment on this post telling me what you'd like to have made. I'll print out all the comments and put them in a bowl. Kinley will draw a winner on Friday...hopefully that will give you enough time to read this and decide what you want. I'll work on organizing my Picasa Sewing Projects page to actually include pictures of stuff I've made throughout the week. Here's my flickr page which has some overlap with the Picasa page. I may have to figure out a way to honor those few who have always commented regularly. You folks deserve something too. Hmmm, we'll see. Thanks for keeping up with the 100 posts of all the random happenings with the Bells.

And for those of you who only check here in hopes of find pictures of my cutie patootie, I will not disappoint. (Aka Nana and Papa...you should comment too!)
Kinley in her favorite place doing her favorite thing. She apparently got tired of waiting for me to brush her teeth this morning and took matters into her own hands while I was blogging. Better get off and go help. Thanks for reading....and thanks in advance for leaving a comment. ;)

17 comments:

  1. I have no idea what I'd want you to sew for me, but I will play along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok...I comment as often as I can...but firefox never lets me...I have to open IE to do so...anyways...you want to make that apron for me? She intimidates me...
    -Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe, you know I read them all even if I forget to comment :)

    I'll play along too :) Hmmm... I have a scrapping friend who is going to have a baby girl soon or could use an apron which you know how long would probably take me to get around to making myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about a spring-patterned outfit with those adorable ruffle pants like this:

    http://thebellfamily2.blogspot.com/2009/11/happy-thanksgiving.html

    You're going to be sorry you ever asked! :) Wish I had a way cool talent that I could give away on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, so I am not the best at posting comments and I really do go online to look at the precious little one. I do enjoy looking at your sewing projects and thank you very much for posting photos of Miss Kinley. Of course, being one of the proud grandparents I am a little prejudice but thank you from the bottom of my heart for always posting photos and updating information. Love, Nana

    ReplyDelete
  6. MacGruber could definitely use a new outfit! haha! Hope you guys are having a good week. I'm excited about your visit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love prizes...maybe something with Alabama Football Team (Roll Tide) for my little Addie Claire...outfit or burp rags or bib, maybe a blanket. Your choice! Hope I win! Come'on Kinley, pick me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your comments! I forgot to mention anything about the bazillion apron patterns that I have for those of you wanting something for yourself not a kiddo. Also have lots of bag patterns, etc. Whit, you think I'm joking, but those books do have several dog sewing projects. Mandy, it will pain me, but if Kin pulls your name out, I could be swayed to sew something Alabama. Which probably just gave Whitney more ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. HAHA...you could always make some Ga Tech things...lol...no, I need help with that apron..haha

    I am sure it would "pain" you to make ruffled pants for some of those cute little ones out there too... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. There will be no Alabama or Georgia Tech sewing in our household. When I win, I am getting Stella to sew me a garage with a loft in our backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoy your blog. You are so funny. I am so glad my daughter, Erin, has such wonderful friends in her life. If you could only teach her to sew. Are you hinting to Andy that his quilt wore out your sewing machine so that you can get a new one like Erin's?

    I have no idea what I might like made from you...we might request a GA Tech something.. ;)
    -Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mom just learned about commenting...Stella, we should be proud...lol...you might get more comments from her now.

    just throw my name in once ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's too many cute choices to choose from! If Kinley picks me, just find Kate's mom at the library and we can decide. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Andy, I think that will take more than a yard of fabric. Oh, and don't hate on Alabama! I WAS going to buy Dr. Peppers for your visit, but my grocery list might get shorter!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whitney, you might have just earned a second spot in the drawing. ;) See you guys later today; we can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wait a minute Whitney. Let's not go crazy here. I think we can work something out......

    ReplyDelete
  17. Do we have a winner yet...any bribes I can throw your way...the suspense is killing me:0)

    ReplyDelete